freakzspeaks

freakzspeaks

Wednesday 10 July 2013

Ottawa Touch N' Go

A spring-ny weather in Downtown Ottawa!
I must have been mad enough to actually fly all the way from Saskatoon to Ottawa to make my US visa. Well, Ottawa is where the US Embassy Headquarter is and it provided the earliest date possible for an appointment ( since I desperately needed my US visa ASAP). No kidding, 5 + hours flight (with transits and you think its within Canada, LOL) and over $700 , I must be mad! Just mad !
A portion of the Parliamentary Building
 I booked a room at Capital Hill Hotel & Suites in Downtown Ottawa. This hotel is only a 1.6km walk to the US Embassy and its right at the heart of downtown ! Just a couple of minutes walk, you will reach the famous parliamentary building and hill, cathedral, Rideau Centre and Byward Market. Absolutely convenient ! You can easily get a good deal on hotel websites.

Maman the Spider vs Notre-Dame Cathedral Bassilica
When I finally arrived, I was totally famished. I quickly checked-in and started food hunting thereafter. Many cafes around the financial district but I needed real food ! So, I decided to have my late lunch at a cute little pizza shop called Gabriel Pizza. Ordered a bacon-topped pizza (huge but felt that they are too stingy with toppings ) and some buffalo wings (super good!)

A huge Bacon-topped pizza slice (can't remember the name!)
Buffalo wings ! (punyele sedap)
Double room at Capital Hill Hotel & Suites
Don't forget to check out Byward Market ( within proximity of US Embassy and Rideau Centre), one of Canadian's oldest and largest public markets. It comprised roughly a four block square with indoor and outdoor shops and stalls. Lots of things to see and a variety of dining options. Had bento set lunch at a Japanese shop. For about $11 (inclusive of a choice of tea or miso), I thought it was pretty decent.


All in all, Ottawa being the capital of Canada has its own charm and attractions. I wouldn't say it is a must-visit place but if you happen to be in Ontario, this city is worth visiting !

No comments :

Post a Comment