freakzspeaks

freakzspeaks

Saturday 22 June 2013

Nyonya food @ Kapitan Restaurant, Melaka

A tour to Melaka is never complete without an authentic home cooked Nyonya meal. Ever since my mum has been talking about Kapitan's nyonya food, I added that to my must-eat list when I got back to Melaka. So, Panda, my mum and I met up with my aunts at Kapitan Restaurant, Melaka Raya. One must not be confused with the other kapitan restaurant (Kapitan House Restaurant, Taman Merdeka). Since its not office hours, parking was fairly easy.

Nyonya Otak-otak (spicy fish paste) 
The first dish was the Nyonya Otak-otak. Well-presented with pickled vegetables ; however, felt that the taste somewhat is slightly lacking compared to Restaurant Ole Sayang.
Cincalok (fermented small shrimps/krills) omelette 
I honestly had very high hopes for this as I'm not a cincalok-lover but since my mum had been saying how good it was, we ordered this egg dish as well. I was quite disappointed as I cant really taste the cincalok (felt like normal omelette); even my mum felt the cincalok was not significant that night.
Top (R) : Nyonya Chap-chai (mixed vege)
Top (L): Spicy tofu (bean curd)
The chap chai (mixed vege) is an authentic Nyonya dish and this came out to be pretty good. The spicy tofu was okay, but not very special in taste.
Sambal Fried Fish
The Fried fish was normal but the sambal was so addictive! We even asked for sambal belacan to complement our rice. Delicious !
Nyonya Pongteh Chicken
The Pongteh chicken had quite a good taste but slightly watery. The chicken pieces that we got were also quite meatless (bad luck probably :()
Sago Melaka 
Nyonya Cendol





















Dessert was pretty good. We ordered Sago Melaka and Nyonya Cendol. They have quite a good variety of desserts. The Nyonya lady was generous enough to give a whole bowl of gula Melaka (melted Melaka palm sugar) as my mum was like 'Mau tambah gula!' Both were equally good! They also have Nyonya kuih on the weekends.

Overall, the Nyonya dishes were on the average side and price was typical of Nyonya food. But, it's worth coming back !

*This restaurant has since change management and name to Jane's Place focusing on nyonya and other asian cuisine as well.
Address : No. 2A & 2B, Jalan Melaka Raya 8, Taman Melaka Raya, 75000 Melaka
Opening hours : 10am - 11pm (Mon-Sun)

No comments :

Post a Comment