freakzspeaks

freakzspeaks

Saturday 14 June 2014

All-you-can-eat supper@ Smiley's, Saskatoon, SK

I'm not sure whats with me and buffets (we seem to click quite well ;p). Anyways, for a small place like Saskatoon, the number of buffets in town will definitely burn someone's goal to slim down. Reviews on Smiley's have been a mixed so I decided to try it out myself. For a dinner buffet at $16.95, I would say this is definitely cheaper than the whole lot out there. A huge building that also caters for events, banquets and of course, the daily buffet.  Reminded me much of a hotel buffet.
They have the usual salad bar with quite a variety of items. Although I didn't really try anything from there, the items looked fresh even though it was close to closing hours.
I was actually quite surprised with their hot buffet as I did not really expect much from this buffet. The variety of items they have was quite impressive. Friday was seafood buffet, so probably that was why there were so many variety of seafood; mussels, shrimp, fish filets, squid etc. Their Asian spread was also quite acceptable; maybe not the best Asian food in town but they covered the noodles, fried rice, pork roll, egg roll and even Vietnamese cold rolls with peanut sauce. A newer addition was the sushi bar with a few types of sushi offered; sushi were well-made and presented in a neat fashion (although I'm not sure what they do with leftovers!). And then of course, the much talked-about Smiley's Gourmet Fried Chicken. I honestly think it was quite good. Chicken was quite fresh, crunchy, and not too salty like KFC's. I was contemplating to whether have seconds but was just too full @__@
Eat eat eat with sunbae


Ok, the pics are not doing justice to the real thing but the stuffed zucchini at the top pic tasted awesome. I'm pretty sure its stuffed with fish and shrimp. Zucchini was a little bit mushy but this item reminded me of 'yong tau foo' (tofu/vege stuffed with fish meat).
One of the better dishes : Mussels ! Loved this!

Sushi
What I had on my plate - First round ;p
They have a huge assortment of desserts at their dessert bar; I'm pretty sure you will not be able to try all of them. Apart from pop and slushies (which I think there's additional charges), the rest of the items included frozen yoghurt and vanilla ice cream (with toppings!), assorted cakes and cookies, coconut bun and custard bun, English toffee pudding and rice pudding. One thing that I definitely like was their coconut bun and custard bun. Its really hard to get this kind of buns in Saskatoon because no one thought of opening a bun bakery (@__@, last spotted were some assortment of buns at the Asian Market on Clarence). Totally fell in love with these buns. They were freshly baked, soft with lots of coconut filling. Even the custard bun was pretty impressive, a little bit crispy on the top and tasted super good (maybe I'm being biased coz I love bread and buns ;p)
Left : Coconut bun, Right : Custard bun
Ok, not really presentable coz I took a bite and then snap a photo but there was lots of coconut filling that I just had to show you. 
I did not take any photos of their desserts because I did not touch any apart from their frozen yoghurt. One thing lacking in this buffet is the aesthetics of food presentation. Although there were lots of variety, the desserts did not look quite tempting to the point I was wondering whether they were left overs from events or banquets that they hosted. I'm sure they will taste good though (can't really go wrong with desserts I guess).

Will I be back ? Yup, probably. And I think Friday will be my favourite day because its seafood buffet. They have specials everyday so, it will be better if you check out what features they have for the day. We were there quite late so servers were quite attentive since there were already not many customers around. 

Address : 702 Circle Drive East Saskatoon, SK 
Opening hours : Dinner buffet at 4.00-8.00pm
Smiley's Buffet And Catering on Urbanspoon

No comments :

Post a Comment